Email Loading Issue on Mobile Devices
Applies to: iOS and Android devices enrolled in MobileIron who are on Exchange Online
If your work email is not loading on your phone, please power it off and turn it back on. If you reboot and your email does not load, please try switching from Wi-Fi to cellular (or vice versa). Please wait a few minutes for the phone to refresh and your email to load. We have recently discovered a mismatch in ActiveSync protocols when some mobile devices connect, which requires a reboot to update and restore functionality appropriately. If you continue to experience difficulty, please contact the IS Service Desk for assistance.
Nexus and Pixel Users: Do not upgrade to Android O
Google released its latest mobile operating system, Android O (8.0.0) on August 21st. It is expected to be available to Google Pixel and Nexus devices within the next week. We have detected compatibility issues between MobileIron and Android O that has been traced back to changes Google made between the last Beta release and the final version. As such, please do not upgrade to Android O at this time.
We are working with MobileIron to release an updated version of the “MobileIron Go” App that is fully compatible with Android O and expect this to occur within the next 2-3 weeks. If you have any questions regarding this, please open up a ServiceNOW ticket and have it placed in the "Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) - PHS" queue
REDCap: Limited EDC Support August 14th-18th
There will be limited support next week while EDC Support attends the annual REDCap Conference. Please plan for delayed response times. Priorities will be made for Moving Projects to Production, User Access, Creating New Projects, and Change Requests. General REDCap questions will be best effort.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
REDCap: Unexpected Downtime
REDCap (https://redcap.partners.org/redcap) experienced an unexpected outage from 2:17-2:37PM today. It is back online.
Please review your projects if surveys were scheduled to send during this time. Manage Survey Participants > Survey Invitation Log. You can filter on “Invitations that failed to send” and resend as needed.
Survey data may not have been collected at this time and participants received a web-browser error message when attempting to click on a survey link.
If you have any concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Intel 1217-LM NIC Driver Update
Applies To: Windows HP Devices
Partners IS has identified that a specific Intel I217-LM Network card within HP device models can cause major network switch outages. Devices managed by Partners IS have already been updated. These instructions are for all other HP workstations connecting to the Partners network.
Please work with your Local IT Administrator to download and install the latest versions of the NIC Driver provided by HP Support Services.
- Visit https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers
- Enter the model name of the computer you have
- Upgrade all drivers.
Here are a few device-specific drivers for your convenience. This list is not exhaustive:
- HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Mini-Tower, Small Form Factor, Desktop Mini, Ultra Slim Desktop Models
- Windows 7 x86, Windows 7 x64
- HP ZBook Mobile Workstation, HP ZBook Mobile G2 Workstation Models
- Windows7 x86, Windows 7 x64
If your device is blocked from the network,
- When possible, connect to the guest network to update your driver
- Contact the IS Service Desk for next steps
SSH Server Connections
SSH Server Connections Unavailable on July 30, 2017 @10a.m. - 2p.m. EDT
ERIS DIPR File Server (fs.dipr.partners.org) maintenance is scheduled on Sunday, July 30, 2017 from 10a.m. to 2p.m. EDT for a full server replacement. During this maintenance window, SSH connections will not be available.
ERIS DIPR File Server (fs.dipr.partners.org) is the nfs file server which provides mounted storage to the SSH Gateway Server Home Folders. ERIS technicians will check and remount home folder storage at the end of the reboot for SSH accounts.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns about this maintenance.
DIPR File Server Replacement
ERIS DIPR File Server (fs.dipr.partners.org) maintenance is scheduled on Sunday, July 30, 2017 from 10a.m. to 2p.m. EDT for a full server replacement. During this maintenance window, any applications and systems that have storage associated with this server will be offline for approximately one hour.
ERIS DIPR File Server (fs.dipr.partners.org) is the nfs file server which provides mounted storage to our DIPR environment. For any systems managed by ERIS, technicians will check and reboot or remount storage.
If you are an owner of a virtual machine in DIPR, we strongly encourage you to check the status of your VM once the scheduled work concludes. If you find one unresponsive, reboot or remount the storage. If any issues persist, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll address the problem.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns about this maintenance.
ERIS provides Discovery Informatics Platform for Research (DIPR), a flexible, secure cloud computing infrastructure designed to meet research needs. DIPR Virtual Machines (VMs) offer IT power and services to research customers without placing the burden of purchasing or managing server hardware on the researcher.
LimeSurvey: Unexpected Downtime
LimeSurvey (https://limesurvey.partners.org/limesurvey) was down on Friday July 14th 2017 from 8:30AM - 10:00AM EST due to database connectivity issues.
Users are urged to review their projects for any inconsistencies.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
LimeSurvey will require a restart at 8:00PM on July 14th. Expected downtime is 10-15 minutes.
If you have any concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
LabArchives: Change to Single Sign On
Updates to LabArchives Secure Login process to use Okta, Partners newest technology, will occur on July 13 at 4pm ET.
The new login link will be posted and updated on our websites. Please be sure to update any bookmarks after the cut over!
The biggest change to note is that when you are off network, you will be prompted for a second factor of authentication.
To register a phone number, or to check to see what number has been previously registered, go to Password self server (myprofile.partners.org). Login and click on the "update my phone number” link. You can add a phone number or update an existing number. Make sure you enter all numbers you may wish to use for second factor authentication, you will be able to choose the appropriate number to use when needed.
Please see the article INFO: Secure Log In Overview and FAQs for additional information.
If you have any questions/concerns, please email email@example.com
StudyTRAX: Unexpected Downtime
StudyTRAX (https://studytrax.partners.org/StudyTrax/) experienced an unexpected outage on July 12th from 2AM-1PM EST.
An unannounced change made by ScienceTRAX within their online/in-app help documentation caused the StudyTRAX server to lose connection and behave unpredictably, causing the outage to the system.
If you have any concerns about this downtime, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Office 2016 is Now Available!
The Office 2016 upgrade for Macintosh, non-standard PC or personally-owned computers used for business is available for self-installation. There is a separate process for upgrading Partners Standard Windows PCs; site-specific information can be found on SharePoint.
Steps at a glance
- Uninstall older versions of Office
- Install Office 2016
- For Non-standard Windows PCs and personally-owned devices can install through the Office 365 Portal - please read these Installation Instructions
- For Mac OS > Self Service Application or through Office 365 Portal
- For Partners Standard PCs > Site specific information can be found on SharePoint. There is a separate process for devices with asset tag, yellow lock and Partners' screensaver.
- Activate Office 2016
Note: please read the complete Installation Instructions
Visit the Office 2016 training & support site for training and support resources related to the Microsoft Office 2016 upgrade and move to Exchange Online for Windows devices at Partners.
REDCap Scheduled Downtime
Securing your Computer Connection
Partners has embarked on a strategy to improve the computing experience across the breadth of devices used at work to assure productive, clean and stable computers (Windows PCs, Apple Macs, smartphones and tablets). With the recent virus and ransomware attacks, both within our System and Internationally, Partners is accelerating this effort to improve the security of our environment.
A change will be made to Mac desktops and laptops to help secure our environment. On Tuesday, July 18, 2017, the ForeScout SecureConnector Network Access Control (NAC) agent will be installed on all devices enrolled in PEAS.
Network Access Control (NAC) is a mechanism that ensures device trust before allowing device access to a secure network. A NAC agent is an application installed on a device to allow visibility into policy compliance of that device when connecting to the Partners network. The current agent used at Partners is called ForeScout SecureConnector.
What can I do to prepare?
You can check to see if you have the agent installed on your computer by opening your Applications folder and searching for ForeScout SecureConnector. If you do not find ForeScout SecureConnector in your list, you may visit this website to install: https://rc.partners.org/SecureConnector. Since you are enrolled in PEAS, you can simply open Self Service and install ForeScout SecureConnector.
What devices already have the SecureConnector Network Access Control (NAC) agent?
ForeScout SecureConnector is already installed on most Partners standard Windows workstations and some PEAS-enrolled Macs. Mobile devices, such as phones or tablets, and Linux computers are exempt at this time.
Since November 10, 2016, those working at or attending meetings at Assembly Row are required to install the ForeScout SecureConnector agent on any computer connecting to the Partners network. All devices must meet the security requirements to gain full network access. Other hospital site locations will implement this compliance check at a later date. The requirements include encryption, antivirus software, and patches.
Please visit the Knowledge Base for FAQ and additional information on device compliance, or our webpage on how to Secure Your Mac. If you have additional questions, please contact the IS Service Desk.
Updated on May 17, 2017:
Wordpress 4.7.5. was released.
Applies To: Wordpress <4.7.4
A Wordpress vulnerability in the password reset function might allow attackers to get hold of the password reset link without previous authentication [CVE-2017-8295].
Combined with other vulnerabilities and, depending on the server configuration, a remote attackers may be able to pass extra parameters and consequently execute arbitrary code.
All versions of Wordpress prior to 4.7.4 are vulnerable. Exposure increases if combined with other vulnerabilities (as CVE-2016-10033) so make sure your PHP is running the latest patched version. An exploit is known to this vulnerability.
At the moment this is being written, Wordpress stable version is still 4.7.4. Please stay alert and update it when a patch is available. For now, as a temporary solution, UseCanonicalNames can be enabled to enforce a static SERVER_NAME value. [see link below]
https://wordpress.org/download/release-archive [for when a new version comes up]
As always, other basic server security hardening also applies, as 1) making sure you're logging mail transport (if using local MTA) with proper retention; 2) possibly changing php.ini to log mail functions (improved auditing); 3) log monitoring tools to detect an alert unusual activity (i.e., increased mail traffic); 4) off-box logging, among others.
Single sign-on coming to HealthStream May 16
Effective May 16, you will be able to log into HealthStream using your Partners username and password. You will no longer need to remember a separate password to complete your HealthStream learning requirements.
HealthStream is the online learning system used by MGH and Partners HealthCare to administer required annual and departmental trainings.
GoToMyPC License Renewals due by April 30th
Applies to: MGH, BWH, PHS Ergonomics Purchasers (does not apply to DFCI)
All GoToMyPC licenses expire on April 30, 2017. As the department purchaser, employees will request that you renew their subscriptions before their access expires. When GoToMyPC users log on to GoToMyPC, a pop-up message reminds them it’s renewal time!
To renew a license, select GoToMyPC -Renewals in the Ergonomics catalog. Renewal subscriptions costs $84. You can order for multiple recipients by providing the following information:
- Email Address (Important: Renewals should be placed with the original email address registered with GTMPC)
- Hospital Site
- DFCI Employees: This message does not apply to DFCI employees since existing DFCI GoToMyPC licenses are renewed annually by DFCI Network Services.
- PHS Employees: VPN (Virtual Private Networking) is the recommended solution for remote access to the Partners network. VPN provides a secure solution at reduced cost to our organization. PHS employees at Assembly Row should not renew GTMPC and request a VPN account.
REDCap: Scheduled Downtime
REDCap (https://redcap.partners.org/redcap) upgrades to v7.0.14 scheduled for tonight Wednesday April 26th at 8:30 PM EST are complete. REDCap was offline from 8:30-8:45 PM EST.
This upgrade is to apply a necessary patch to address a number of bugs introduced in the upgrade to version 7.0.10.
If you have any concerns about REDCap being offline at this time, please email email@example.com
Coming Soon: Office 2016
Partners HealthCare Corporate employees' devices will begin upgrading to Office 2016, which includes the most current versions of Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access. Office 2016 is part of the Office 365 suite of applications and online services offered by Microsoft.
Here’s what you need to know to get started:
When will I get it?
The date of your upgrade is determined by the last digit of your device/control #:
- Tuesday, April 18
- Devices ending in 0 and 1
- Tuesday, May 9
- Devices ending in 2 to 9
How does the upgrade work?
- Desktops are upgraded by an automatic process overnight (starting on Tuesday night).
- Laptops are upgraded through a self-install option. After you've been notified that Office 2016 is available for your device, follow this guide to install and activate the new software.
What changes will I see?
This new version offers a fresh look and feel, as well as several new features across all Office applications. Outlook incorporates the ribbon throughout, and includes enhanced features designed to help you work more efficiently.
Where can I learn more?
Training schedule, FAQs, and other resources can be found on the Office 2016 training & support site.
For help with upgrade:
Windows 10 Creators Update (build 1703) released
Windows 10 Creators Update (build 1703) was released on April 11th and will show up as an update for users on their devices. Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/11/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-creators-update/
rc.partners.org Website Maintenance
Research IS & Computing website maintenance took place on Thursday, April 6, 2017 starting at 7a.m. The site was offline for approximately ten minutes. Updates included bug fixes, security updates and feature enhancements.
REDCap Scheduled Downtime
REDCap (https://redcap.partners.org/redcap) upgrades to v7.0.10 scheduled for Wednesday April 5th at 8:00 PM EST are complete. REDCap was offline from 8:00PM-8:38PM EST.
This upgradel included a number of new features and bug fixes. These include:
- Repeating Instruments and Events: REDCap now has the ability to repeat a data collection instrument or an entire event of instruments an unlimited number of times without having to specify the amount needed. This is sometimes called one-to-many data collection, in which a project can have one or more repeating parts. The repeating instruments/events feature can be enabled and set up by clicking the Enable button in the Optional Modules section on the Project Setup page.
- Note: A separate Service Alert will be sent next week to fully detail this new feature.
- Improvement: New interface for Home/My Projects/Control Center pages.
- Improvement: A zip file containing all uploaded documents (or signature files) for an individual record can now be downloaded from the "Choose action for record" drop-down on the Record Home Page if the user has Data Export privileges.
- Improvement: File Upload fields that are displayed on reports will no longer display the text "[document]", but will instead provide a "Download" button so that the user can actually download the file from the report.
- Field name (variable) auto-suggest when typing branching logic, calculations, or general conditional logic (Survey Queue, Automated Survey Invitation, Data Quality rule, report filter’s advanced logic). While typing logic/calculations into the text box, it will auto-suggest a REDCap variable name from your project that is clickable to inject into the text box. If the project is longitudinal, it will also suggest event names to inject unique event names.
- Real-time validator for branching logic, calculations, or general conditional logic (Survey Queue, Automated Survey Invitation) that allows you to run your logic/calculation on a specific record in the project, and it returns the result. For example, if typing branching logic in the Add/Edit Branching Logic popup in the Online Designer, you can select a record, and it will tell you if the field will be displayed or hidden for that record based upon the record’s currently saved values. When typing calculations, it will return the actually calculated value of the field for a selected record. This makes it easier to formulate your logic and calculations so that you get them right the first time.
- Preview email - When composing an email on the "Email Users" page in the Control Center and also when composing survey invitations (e.g., the Participant List, Automated Survey Invitations set up), there is now a Preview option for viewing the fully-rendered HTML preview of the email that is being composed. Additionally, there is an option to send a test email to oneself in case they want to actually receive a copy the email being composed before officially sending it to others.
Full release notes available here.
If you have any concerns about REDCap being offline at this time or any questions about these new features, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
REDCap v7.0: New Feature Release and User Group Meeting
BWH: April 11th 2017 3:30-4:30PM, Thorn Conference Room
Click to register.
MGH: April 20th 2017 3:00-4:00PM, Simches Building Room 3.120, 185 Cambridge Street
Click to register.
This user group session will review the new feature releases and how best to implement and retro fit to production projects. We will also use the time for users to share their experiences and tips/tricks.
REDCap Email Notification Plugin v2.0
A new Email Notification Plugin (v2.0) has been released to REDCap.
New Users can access the new feature and plugin URL on our Extensions Page: https://rc.partners.org/redcap/extensions
Current Users will need to update their Email Notification Project Bookmarks from their current URL to new URL:
If you have multiple DETs setup in your project or would like to test the conversion prior to submitting the new configuration on your production project, please contact email@example.com.
Please convert your Email Notification Plugin by March 24th. EDC Support will contact you for conversion after this date.
- REDCap's "piping" feature can be used to pipe data into the email form, including email, subject, and message fields.
- Triggers can be designated to fire once per Record or once per Record/Event