The EDC Support service helps coordinate, lead and support faculty and research study staff in their electronic data capture (EDC), web-based survey and application needs for research studies. EDC Support will help identify the optimal study tool given the investigator’s requirements and facilitate the training of personnel in its uses and functions.
In collaboration with the Harvard Catalyst | The Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center, REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a free, secure, HIPAA compliant web-based application hosted by Partners HealthCare Research Computing, Enterprise Research Infrastructure & Services (ERIS). Vanderbilt University, with collaboration from a consortium of academic and non-profit institutional partners, develops this software application for electronic collection and management of research and clinical study data. Data collection is customized for each study or clinical trial by the research team with guidance from ERIS REDCap administrators.
REDCap Getting Started knowledge base has video tutorials and guidelines on how to access REDCap, request, design and maintain your projects.
- 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance
- REDCap eConsent
- Get Data: RPDR and eCare
- REDCap Data Import (REDDI): Review the FAQ
- REDCap Extensions
REDCap's stream-lined process for rapidly developing databases, requires little database design experience. REDCap provides a user-friendly interface to program web-based case report forms with real-time data entry validation (e.g. for data types and range checks).
Advantages of REDCap over MS Excel, Access and some other online survey tools:
- Secure and web-based - Input data from anywhere in the world with secure web authentication, data logging, and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption.
- Hosted at Partners DIPR Datacenter - No need to worry about security issues regarding third party websites hosting your private data.
- Fast and flexible - Conception to production-level database timeline determined by study team.
- Multi-site access - Projects can be used by researchers from multiple sites and institutions.
- Fully customizable - You are in total control of shaping your database or survey.
- Advanced question features - Auto-validation, branching logic, piping, and stop actions.
- Mid-study modifications - You may modify the database or survey at any time during the course of your study.
- Data import functions - Data may be imported from external data sources to begin a study or to provide mid-study data uploads.
- Data comparison functions - Double data entry / Blinded data entry.
- Export results to common data analysis packages: Microsoft Excel, SAS, Stata, R, or SPSS for analysis.
- Save your survey or forms as PDFs - Generate a PDF version for printing in order to collect responses offline.
Twilio: Survey Invitations via SMS Text
- Twilio is a secure, third party app that has been intergrated into REDCap to send survey invites/messages to participants via text or voice calls
- The use of REDCap+Twilio Module has been reviewed by the Research Information Security Office (RISO). All the participant data is stored in REDCap (names, emails, phone numbers).
- Twilio is used to send the text + survey link. When the respondent touches the link, their browser opens on their smart phone and they complete the survey in the secure website.
- The message text is defined by the study team and approved by the IRB
Electronic Regulatory Binder
- The Electronic Regulatory Binder is a project within REDCap that was developed by Partners Human Research Quality Improvement (QI) Program and Enterprise Research Infrastructure & Services (ERIS)
- The eReg Binder can assist sites with the electronic storage and maintenance of regulatory documents for Partners IRB approved protocols.
- The project template contains required regulatory information that is usually captured by in the QI Regulatory Binder
- Please review the General Instructions for using the eReg Binder to collect and store regulatory information in REDCap
Meet the Team
REDCap Core Services
Need additional support?
ERIS Research Core offers supplemental services for REDCap:
- Review data collection forms to support efficient data entry
- Make recommendations on data modeling and data entry screens
- Program and test data entry screens to yield appropriate data sets for planned statistical analyses
- Plan patient tracking and scheduling systems
- Program feature extensions: plugins and hooks
Studytrax is an electronic data capture system designed to manage surveys, patient registries, clinical trials, and other research designs (learn more).
Investigators consistently choose Studytrax because of:
1) The Application
- What if it was simple to query, extract, visualize and analyze data, and publish the end-results?
- Studytrax sets the bar in investigator productivity by completely integrating the analytical / manuscript generation process.
- What if the workflow, tasks, data entry and management of multiple studies could be coordinated within a single, integrated environment?
- Studytrax combines ease of scalability with a powerful set up reporting features to make management of multiple studies simple.
- What if subjects were engaged and motivated to participate in studies?
- Studytrax dramatically reduces dropouts and missing data through a portal that supports data entry, plus delivers rich, personalized content and incentives!
2) The Support
Same Day Solutions
- The overwhelming majority of questions are solved the same day.
Up And Running
- Instant, cloud-based user access and easy setup process.
- Leverage a wealth of online resources or schedule 1-on-1 assistance.
3) The Relationship
- Accustom to the challenges of academic research, and adaptive to funding, requirements and timeline changes.
- Partnering with investigators to produce superior projects throughout their research career.
- Vetted by Partners' Research Information Science & Computing (RISC) for secure, compliant research use.
Learn more at Studytrax.com
The system combines the power and flexibility of a user-driven freezer management system with the solid foundation of a relational database. Researchers can subscribe to the service at a discounted rate through the Research Computing Core.
- Centrally hosted by Partners with daily backups
- Tracks what is being stored, moved, thawed and tested
- View sample inventory
- Provides batch data entry and update records
- Offers numerous options for viewing and exporting data
- Is able to print bar code labels and ship samples to outside organizations
- Controls access to data on an authorized user, per lab basis
- Provides a complete audit trail that complies with 21 CFR Part 11
More about Freezerworks: http://www.freezerworks.com/
- Annual subscription service fee
- Visit our Research Computing Core Fees page for pricing information (Login Required)
- Interested in using Freezerworks, please complete a brief online form
- After reviewing your request we will schedule a follow-up meeting.
- To access the software, your device must be connected to the Partners Network.
Since October 1, 2016: Enterprise Research Infrastructure & Services, ERIS, manages an enterprise license for LabArchives for all researchers to use at no cost. LabArchives is a web-based application designed for organizing, documenting, and sharing research data with teams, departments, and collaborators.
Partners Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) Policy
PIs must use LabArchives to document Research Data and other record keeping activities for active research projects as of their hospital’s ELN implementation date (Oct. 1, 2019 for BWH and MGH; Jan. 1, 2020 for MCL, MEE, SRH and IHP).
Policy Statement: Principal Investigators (PI) of Partners HealthCare (Partners) active research projects must transition from basic data documentation and management methods, e.g., use of MS Word, Excel without controls for auditing and tracking changes, paper laboratory notebooks, and paper processes, to digital technologies/electronic systems, i.e., Electronic Lab Notebooks or Research Notebooks (ELN), in accordance with the implementation schedule. Transition to electronic systems is required to meet regulatory and institutional compliance requirements, mitigate security risks, maintain data integrity, and protect intellectual property.
This Policy does not apply to:
- Clinical research projects that utilize electronic lab or data management systems, processes, and ELNs that are 21 CFR Part 11 compliant, or
- Sponsor-initiated clinical trials that utilize sponsor systems and processes.
LabArchives is the ELN system Partners has established for researchers to meet these requirements. PIs are required to establish a LabArchives account in their name and create notebooks and designate notebook access for their research staff.
- LabArchives: Quick Start for PIs | PDF
- LabArchives Quick Guide: Storage | PDF
- LabArchives and Clinical Research | PDF
For Additional Policy Information: Partners LabArchives FAQs
Support & Training:
- New! LabArchives Monthly On-Site Sessions at BWH, MGH, MGH CNY & McLean - Event Calendar
- Introduction to LabArchives: Every Thursday - REGISTER
- To schedule Lab / Department Training: contact email@example.com
- To schedule Introduction to Widgets: contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- LabArchives Knowledgebase: Search general, getting started, and feature specific information.
Important Service Notification:
Due to increased Partners HealthCare Information Security requirements and standards, ERIS decommissioned the service (internally hosted application) on Oct. 3 2018.
If you were a Partners LimeSurvey user and require access to your archived data, please email email@example.com We will be able to grant short term access (~6 hrs) for you to access and export data.
We sincerely thank all of our LimeSurvey users for their use and support of the system over the years.