May 22, 2022
Create Data Collection Instruments
Data collection instruments are meant to organize data collection only; they have no impact on the structure of the database or on data extraction.
Create instruments and group the fields from a study work flow and data entry perspective:
- By modules: i.e. demographics, vitals, medication
- By type of persons who collect data
- By data acquisition type: manual data entry or data import
- Group identifiers (PHI) on the same instrument to better protect subject’s data
- In a longitudinal study, fields that are entered at the same event or within the same arm are grouped together. Instruments may be used at multiple events/arms.
Longitudinal study example:
Data collection instruments may be also downloaded from the public Shared Library of instruments available within REDCap. If a validated or licensed instrument is used in a given project, carefully read the terms of agreement before modifying the instrument. Modifying the instrument may VOID the validation.