October 5, 2021
1. Requirements for all mobile devices for research data collection:
- Internet access
- Must be encrypted: includes smartphones/tablets/netbooks/laptops
2. Determine your research study requirements:
Two questions to consider. Each study may have additional requirements.
Q1. Do you need to access Partners Applications and clinical solutions from your device?
Q2. How do you plan to use the device?
- Do you plan to use the device for survey or data collection instrument design?
- Do you plan to use the device for data collection?
- Do you plan to use the device for data analysis?
A1. If you need to access Partners Applications and clinical solutions from your device, then you need to order a Partners-supported device.
Please see the Partners Helpdesk website for current list: http://helpdeskselfservice.partners.org/phones/handhelds_sla.aspx
- MS Office with MS Excel 2007 (or 2010) to use data dictionary
- MS Office with MS Excel 2007 (or 2010) to use data dictionary, data export
Aditional considerations for specific devices from users:
The iPad needs to have a passcode and be set to autolock after 15 minutes inactivity. The encryption and passcode can be enabled in the General Settings of the device.
1. If the iPad is used by a single individual, he/she can link to Partners e-mail by enrolling in MobileIron. Please note: Once the iPad is sync’d to Exchange, a policy is pushed down to the device requiring the iPad to have a passcode and auto locking after 15 mins inactivity. Also, if there are 10 failed attempts to enter the passcode the device is erased.
2. When the iPad is being used by multiple users (i.e. research staff sharing an iPad), it is recommended the device be set up as a Corporate Owned Single Use device. For more information, please go to the Enterprise Mobility Management page here: https://jira.partners.org/servicedesk/customer/portal/6
To request device set up/configuration, please go here: https://jira.partners.org/servicedesk/customer/portal/6
**Please add a comment below if you have any additional suggestions or recommendations for devices that you use for research data collection.**