Memorandum to: Principal Investigators and Research Staff
From: Anne Klibanski, Paul Anderson and Harry Orf
Subject: Establish Your LabArchives Account and Notebook Now – Deadline Approaching
As you know, as of October 1, 2019, all Partners research activity must be managed through electronic systems and processes. LabArchives is the electronic lab notebook (ELN) Partners has selected for researchers to meet this requirement. PIs are required to establish a LabArchives account in their name and create notebooks, in addition to designating notebook access for their research staff.
Thanks to all of you who have already established a LabArchives account and notebook, with a special note of thanks to investigators who are acting as Super Users or Champions to help your colleagues’ transition to an ELN.
Based on recent account creation data, the combined BWH and MGH PI enrollment rate is approximately 26% with only seven weeks remaining to reach full enrollment.
In light of the low enrollment, we are writing to reinforce the importance of the ELN mandate and to urge all PIs (and other researchers) who have not established notebooks to do so before the end of September. Transition to electronic systems is required to meet regulatory and institutional compliance requirements, mitigate security risks, maintain data integrity, and protect intellectual property. Based on feedback from researchers who have already established a LabArchives notebook, an ELN does so much more for investigators. For example, it
- Provides ready access to proposed and completed experiments;
- Allows the PI to view their lab personnel’s notebooks to observe progress and update results via their phone or iPad;
- Provides a forum for all lab personnel to access general protocols for lab experimental procedures or instructions for equipment usage;
- Provides a venue for storing “links” for the raw data, manipulated data, images, methodologies and drafts for publications; and
- Provides a way for multiple researchers working on the same project to share project-related notebooks so that data are not recorded in multiple hard copy notebooks.
Time is running out! Avoid the end of fiscal year rush and establish your ELN now. Get started today by visiting: https://rc.partners.org/eln. Visit https://rc.partners.org/LabArchives for the full Quick Start guidance document and more. If you have any questions, please contact the Partners Enterprise Research IS Applications team at email@example.com or stop by an upcoming training session to learn more. The ELN team is also available to meet with departments.
- Monday, September 9, 2019 – 2:00 – 3:00PM – Simches 3.120
- Tuesday, September 10, 2019 – 2:00 – 3:00 PM– CNY, Building 114, Conference Room D1 (1st floor)
- Tuesday, September 24, 2019 – 1:00 – 3:30PM – Thorn 13 Conference Room