September 7, 2023
All access to AWS must be in accordance with MGB Enterprise Security Standards for Cloud-Based Solutions. All access should be through the standard MGB login process, OKTA Single sign-on (SSO), to keep your account secure. See INFO: MGB AWS Research Control Tower Login Process for details. If you are not using SSO, please follow these instructions to enable Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) with OKTA for your AWS account.
1. In order to enable Multi-Factor Authentication, you need to log in to AWS account as the root user. Visit https://aws.amazon.com/console/ and select the log back in button and proceed with your root account login. https://aws.amazon.com/console/
2. Choose your account name from the navigation bar on the top right, and then select Security "Security Credentials"
3. Select/Activate MFA Authentication
Open Okta and Scan the bar code presented on the screen.
4. In the Manage MFA Device wizard, in the MFA Code 1 box, enter the six-digit number that's currently displayed by Okta. Wait up to 30 seconds for the device to generate a new number, and then type the new six-digit number into the MFA Code 2 box.
5. Choose Assign MFA, and then choose Finish.