Did you know that Microsoft regularly releases security patches for its software products on the second Tuesday of every month? How frequently do you update your computer? Here is some guidance to keep your device secure and your Microsoft software up to date and running smoothly.
Do I need to make changes on my computer?
- Not if you use a Partners standard Windows computer (those with the asset tag, yellow lock and Partners' screensaver). The updates are run for you and devices are usually patched the Friday following Patch Tuesday. Both Microsoft and Adobe products are typically updated at this time. This can change if there is a significant freeze in place.
- Yes, you need to run updates if you use a non-standard Windows, Macintosh or personally-owned device for Partners' business. It is your responsibility to keep your device and software up to date.
How do I run Microsoft updates on my non-standard or personally-owned Windows device?
Turn on Windows Update for automatic updating. Most patches will install automatically, but you will be prompted when input is needed during an installation. It is strongly recommended that you click on any Windows Update alerts in your taskbar to be sure your PC does not miss an important download.
- Visit: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update
- Then select Check your settings
How do I run Microsoft updates on my Macintosh device?
If you use Office for Mac, turn on AutoUpdate to periodically check for updates. It is strongly recommended that you run these updates in a timely fashion.
- Open any Office application such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or Outlook.
- On the Help menu, select Check for Updates.
IMPORTANT: If you don't see Check for Updates on the Help menu, download the latest version of the Microsoft AutoUpdate tool from https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Check-for-Office-for-Mac-updates-automatically-bfd1e497-c24d-4754-92ab-910a4074d7c1.
TROUBLESHOOTING: If you try to install the latest updates from Windows Update and you receive an error message, visit this article to download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2714434/description-of-the-windows-update-troubleshooter.
If you have any questions or concerns about updating and securing your software or device, please contact the IS Service Desk.