Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap)
In collaboration with the Harvard Catalyst | The Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center, REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a free, secure, HIPAA compliant web-based application hosted by Partners HealthCare Research Computing, Enterprise Research Infrastructure & Services (ERIS). Vanderbilt University, with collaboration from a consortium of academic and non-profit institutional partners, develops this software application for electronic collection and management of research and clinical study data. Data collection is customized for each study or clinical trial by the research team with guidance from ERIS REDCap administrators.
REDCap is built around HIPAA guidelines but is not yet 21 CFR Part 11 compliant (Lynn Simpson, ERIS' EDC Support Specialist, is leading the PHS collaboration with Vanderbilt in development of this module).
NEW: ERIS now offers additional support building REDCap surveys and databases:
- Review data collection forms to ensure that they will support efficient data entry in REDCap
- Make recommendations on data modeling, table design and data entry screens
- Program and test data entry screens to yield appropriate data sets for planned statistical analyses
- Plan patient tracking and scheduling system within REDCap
For more information about these fee for services, please contact email@example.com.
For more information building a REDCap project yourself, go to http://rc.partners.org/redcapgettingstarted
REDCap Data Management
Using REDCap's stream-lined process for rapidly developing databases, you may create and design databases using 1) the Online Form Editor and/or 2) the offline method by constructing a "data dictionary" file in Microsoft Excel and uploading it to REDCap. REDCap provides user-friendly web-based case report forms, real-time data entry validation (e.g. for data types and range checks) and audit trails. Users are assigned different levels of access which can be form or rights based.
REDCap Survey Feature
REDCap Survey provides a powerful tool for creating and managing surveys in your web browser. Collect responses from survey participants by 1) sending a link to your survey via email, 2) entering data manually, and/or 3) posting a link on your website. REDCap Survey gives you the option to keep your participant responses anonymous, or track and identify responses by building an email contact list.
Advantages of REDCap and REDCap Survey:
- Secure and web-based - Input data from anywhere in the world with secure web authentication, data logging, and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption.
- Hosted at Partners DIPR Datacenter - No need to worry about security issues regarding third party websites hosting your private data. And it’s absolutely free.
- Fast and flexible - Conception to production-level database in less than one day.
- Multi-site access - Projects can be used by researchers from multiple sites and institutions.
- Fully customizable - You are in total control of shaping your database or survey.
- Advanced question features - Auto-validation, branching logic, and stop actions.
- Mid-study modifications - You may modify the database or survey at any time during the course of your study.
- Data import functions - Data may be imported from external data sources to begin a study or to provide mid-study data uploads.
- Data comparison functions - Double data entry / Blinded data entry.
- Export survey results to common data analysis packages - Export your data to Microsoft Excel, SAS, Stata, R, or SPSS for analysis.
- Save your survey or forms as PDFs - Generate a PDF version for printing in order to collect responses offline.
To start building a REDCap project, go to http://rc.partners.org/redcapgettingstarted
Are you a non-Partners HealthCare Institution and would like more information about implementing REDCap at your site? Please see Vanderbilt's REDCap website for additional information: http://www.project-redcap.org/