***IMPORTANT: If you add an application, you must also add the associated server or servers (if not already added). Likewise, if you add a server, you must add the associated application or applications (if not already added). Guidelines for completing each field is provided later in this document. All fields are required.
The attached file consists of a template that you can use to import one or more configuration items (CIs) into ServiceNow. CIs that are requested to be created must be managed by our Change Management process.
Click the link for CI_Import_Template.xls. The bottom of the template includes tabs to tailor the information to the type of CI: HW (if needed) for hardware, Apps (if needed) for applications, or CI-CI relationships (for application-server relationships). See Example - Do Not Use for examples of each type of CI and other helpful information.
Initiate a request to import CIs into ServiceNow, as follows:
- Complete the template, based on the type of CI. You will need to click Enable Editing to make your updates. All fields are required.
- Save the template onto your desktop.
- Do one of the following:
- If you have a role in ServiceNow (ITIL user):
- Use the navigation bar in ServiceNow to select Service Catalogs from the Self-Service option. Then, select the IS Services catalog.
- Under General Requests, select Application and Service-Related Requests. ServiceNow displays the associated request form.
- Complete the form as follows:
- Configuration Item - ITSM Configuration Management
- Location - Enter the location where you sit.
- Category - Data Change
- Subcategory - Leave blank
- Assignment Group - ITSM Configuration Management - phs
- Description - Enter "See attached" or additional information.
- Attach the completed template to your ticket by clicking the paper clip icon in the upper right corner.
- Click Order Now and submit your request.
- If you do not have a role in ServiceNow (non-ITIL user):
- From the Service Desk home page, click OPEN A TICKET. Then, in the More Information field, type “Please create a request including the following.”
- Copy and paste the following text: “For Configuration Item, use ITSM Configuration Management. For Category, use Data Change. For Assignment Group, use ITSM Configuration Management – phs. For Description, add See attached.”
- Click Submit. After processing by the Service Desk, you will receive a notification with a link to your new request task (RITM).
- Click the link to display details for the task.
- Add the completed template to your ticket by clicking the paper clip icon at the top of your screen.
- Click Update.
- If you have a role in ServiceNow (ITIL user):
Import Template Field Descriptions (use the attached template)
|Name or PHS Name||
Name of the hardware device (Name) or application (PHS Name). For applications that are used at more than one site, the configuration management team may name your application using the format <application name> <Site abbreviation>, such as Peoplesoft – mgh. For applications that are in a non-prod environment, the environment name is abbreviated after the application name, such as Provation (TST) - nwh.
Hardware only. The unique physical or virtual identifier assigned by the manufacturer of this CI.
Who makes this device.
Hardware only. The operating system associated with this server, if applicable.
|Manufacturer Product Name||
Application only. The official name of the software from the manufacturer.
Application only. Is this an application module or sub software? (Yes or No)
|CI Owner (PHS ID)||
The PHS ID of the person with final approval authority to make decisions for this CI. This includes approving of change requests.
|CI Owner (First & Last Name)||
The first and last name of the person with final approval authority to make decisions for this CI. This includes approving of change requests.
|Business Owner (PHS ID)||
The PHS ID of the person responsible for the service of this CI.
|Business Owner (First and Last Name)||
The first and last name of the person responsible for the service of this CI.
|Technical Owner (PHS ID)||
The PHS ID of the person responsible for technical upkeep and authority of this CI.
|Technical Owner (First and Last Name)||
The first and last name of the person responsible for the technical upkeep and authority of this CI.
The group that will be notified when an incident or change is recorded against this CI, as well as his or her first and last name.
Hardware only. The location of this CI. Location of the host if it is a virtual machine.
The entity that owns the CI (PeC CIs are noted as “PARTNERS ECARE”).
|In Use at Sites||
Which sites use this application.
|Description of this CI||
Describe the function of this device or what the application does.
Words that users who call the Service Desk may use to describe the application or hardware. This field assists the Service Desk in selecting the correct CI.
|Criticality||See the following chart.|
|Business||7am - 7pm x 7 days/week||15 minutes||ASAP|
|Standard Support||7am - 5pm x 5 days/week (no holidays)||24 hours||1 hour|
|Pre-Production||7am - 7pm x 5 days/week (no holidays)||No expectation/Best effort|
|Non-Production||7am - 7pm x 5 days/week (no holidays)||24 hours|