This training video was developed by a subcommittee of the NIH Animal Research Advisory Committee to assist in the development of proper surgical skills when performing survival surgery on rodents. It illustrates the most common practices used in the NIH intramural research program and survival rodent surgery standards established by the NIH “Guidelines for Survival Rodent Surgery.”
Instructions for Mac:
The video files below only work in Windows.
- Mac users can visit: http://oacu.od.nih.gov/training_resources/survival_rodent_surgery.htm
- Watch Training in Survival Rodent Surgery Module 1 – General Training in Rodent Survival Surgery.
- After completing the video, return to Aseptic Technique course on the CITI site to complete the quiz to get credit for the course.
Instructions for Windows:
- Download this Zip file which contains the video files
- Select OK to save file in dialog box.
- Double click on zip file.
- Double click on PCStartMe.exe and select extract all in dialog box
- In the Extraction Wizard dialog box, select Next>>Next>>Finish
- Double click on PCStartMe.exe.
When you see this screen:
Adjust your audio to hear the video.
The screenshot below will then be displayed. Select “General Training in Survival Rodent Surgery” and view the video. After completing the video, return to Aseptic Technique course to complete the quiz.
* CD producers - NIH Office of Animal Care and Use and National Human Genome Research Institute