Visit the Mass General Brigham careers page to apply online. Job ID is 3149204
General Summary/Overview Statement
Want to work with advanced computing and help design, build and then manage open-source, automated infrastructures that support world-class research and data-driven medical knowledge? Do you enjoy working within an entrepreneurial culture filled with high-energy, collaborative, client-focused team members?
Mass General Brigham's Enterprise Research Infrastructure and Services (ERIS https://rc.partners.org) is immediately seeking a Research Applications Administrator to join our team and support our community. This position works within the multi-disciplinary ERIS Core Facilities team to develop, configure and administer application and web server systems and to provision user accounts for research departments and investigators across the Mass General Brigham system. This role works on a project-basis to understand and document the requirements and implement the technical server stack for the client. The broad range of responsibilities include: effective project communication and coordination of tasks with client, analysis of needs, installation/configuration, operation, and managing upgrades and patching with technical teams, and accountability. The selected candidate will work with advanced computing and assist in designing, building and manageing open-source, automated infrastructures which support world-class research and data-driven medical knowledge.
Using your knowledge of server administration and application configuration, you will develop and maintain server systems and end-point integration issues, provide general technical training to investigators when needed, document knowledge within our knowledge management system ServiceNow, ensure systems are secure and provide support for the server and applications as needed.
We are seeking someone with the proven ability to help teams and projects successfully accomplish their technical objectives. The unifying characteristics of the position are an eagerness to quickly learn new technologies, a breadth in open-source technical skills particularly with server and container systems, ability to work independently, outstanding customer service skills, and the ability to help teams and projects successfully accomplish their objectives. Candidates are not expected to be deeply knowledgeable in all areas, but must demonstrate the ability and desire to learn how to support a large and diverse, research-to-production environment with an entrepreneurial culture filled with high-energy, collaborative, client-focused team members.
ERIS enables and supports the highly successful and innovative research programs and innovative apps of the largest teaching hospitals in the nation--Massachusetts General (MGH), Brigham and Women’s (BWH), McLean and Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospitals--with their more than 3200 grant-sponsored programs in the biomedical sciences, from basic to clinical and applied research.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Application Administration: Manage life-cycle of large scale enterprise wide applicatiions. Responsible for Planning, Upgrading, Configuring, documenting and provisioning these apps to users.
- Upgrades applications as necessary with new software revisions, patches and system program modifications.
- Troubleshoot backend issues with these applications. Act as a Tier 3 level support for the apps.
- Research and Evaluate new applications that come to market in order to better improve the services we currently have but also try and meet any new needs researchers may request.
- Develop and maintain system documentation using wiki and knowledge management tools (Confluence)
- Create and close work orders for tasks using established standards in ServiceNow
- Work directly with Departments and Research Labs at Partners Healthcare on IT special projects that require this person to track and manage their time into a project billing system.
- Analyzes results of application monitoring and implements changes to improve performance, processing and utilization. Proposes, maintains and enforces application polices, practices and security procedures.
- Occasionally lift and carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 25 pounds and possible significant fieldwork around the PHS campus and satellite buildings.
- Off-hours on-call best effort support is occasionally required.
- Uses the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
- Perform other duties as required by the situation and circumstances.
- BA/BS degree required or equivalent combination of skills/experience.
- 5+ years of experience required with managing a large-scaled enterprise application (5,000+ users)
- 3+ years demonstrated project coordination and analysis
- Candidate must possess solid knowledge and understanding of Windows server configurations including networking and macOS/Windows client OS.
- 3+ years working within a Healthcare organization preferred.
- Experience with application provisioning, McAfee Drive Encryption, List Manager a plus.
- Knowledge of Windows Operating Systems (10, 2008R2, 2012R2, 2016) a must.
- Knowledge of MacOS (10.14+) preferred.
- Knowledge of system security (assigning permissions, group policy).
- Experience with ServiceNow as a technical user (change management, issue management, etc)
- Demonstrated ability in providing systems administration, server troubleshooting to a community with diverse computing needs.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work requirements, keeping team and management informed.
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with cross functional teams including staff at all levels of the organization including both technical and non-technical personnel.
- Ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with others of different skill sets, backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the Boston area to the multiple Partners sites at MGH, BWH, Harvard Medical School, McLean and elsewhere.
- Learn quickly in a constantly evolving environment.
- Understand common network protocols like DHCP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP.
- Must be capable of contributing within a team, exhibit a high level of initiative, and have an eagerness to learn new technologies.
MGB has implemented special remote working policies due to COVID-19. These policies are subject to change; however, it is currently expected that this position will work remotely (e.g. from home) full time through June 2021
- Normal office environment
- After-hours support as needed.
- Remote access capabilities provided
- Travel to corporate and research sites for meetings with investigators, stakeholders, governance teams, and ERIS/Research Computing team members is required.
- Occasionally lift and carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 25 pounds and possible significant fieldwork around the BWH / MGH campuses and other hospital sites including the datacenters.
No direct reports; provides guidance as the needs arise for the team
Demonstrates fiscal responsibility by effectively using Partners resources
Mass General Brigham is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.
Primary location MA-Somerville-PHS Assembly Row
Work Locations PHS Assembly Row 399 Revolution Drive Somerville 02145
Job Systems/Network Administration
Organization Massachusetts General Brigham (PHS)
Standard Hours 40
Shift Day Job
Employee Status Regular
Recruiting Department PHS Information Systems
Job Posting Mar 10, 2021
Visit the Mass General Brigham careers page to apply online. Job ID is 3149204