Visit the Partners careers page to apply online. Job ID is 3112732
General Summary/Overview Statement
The Research Information Systems & Computing (RISC) group of Partners HealthCare is looking for a Engineering Manager to be a key member of the RPDR (Research Patient Data Registry) team.
The Research Patient Data Registry (RPDR) is a centralized clinical data registry designed for facilitating research across the Partners HealthCare enterprise. Our group is focused on the consolidation of data into this repository from a variety of hospitals and source systems. To date, we have over 3.5 billion individual data points on over 7 million patients. In addition, we develop tools and services to search and disseminate data to researchers on IRB approved studies. We handle over 35,000 query requests from over 1500 researchers annually, including the creation and delivery of over 4000 identified data sets. The total value of grants that depend on data delivered from the RPDR for their associated research projects is estimated to be over $1 billion.
The Engineering Manager position will provide technical leadership and guidance to a small team of developers who are responsible for delivering software solutions for complex problems within the RPDR. We are looking for a self-motivated, highly qualified individual who demonstrates great attention to detail and can manage a small, but very efficient group. This position will have significant influence on our overall technical strategy and will be counted on to lead the RPDR technical team through complete project lifecycles, from design to development, implementation, and ongoing maintenance.
The ideal person must love a challenge and feel comfortable working on an evolving project in which the specific goals and deliverables are subject to change. Deep analytical skills are a necessity, as well as an ability to successfully work with new technologies, quickly grasp new concepts, and think creatively when solving complex problems. You may be asked to take on other duties the team may need as assigned and you will actively participate in all facets of the project.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead a team of 4-5 individuals. This includes:
- Manage the assignment of day to day technical tasks for team.
- Encourage full participation of team members within their defined roles and responsibilities.
- Focus the team to ensure an on-time delivery of the projects.
- Work to develop resiliency among team member so they can adapt to and navigate challenges and obstacles
- Coach the team to make good decisions while considering trade-offs
- Influence the future direction of the team and vision for what is possible
- Drive team progress towards clear objectives and remove roadblocks facing developers for day to day projects
- Translate corporate/functional business and information objectives into technical solutions
- Design and code software components, units, and modules that meet product specification and development schedules.
- Establish best practices for change management, code reviews, evaluating and reducing technical debt, creating automated testing procedures, etc.
- Partner with the Senior Manager of Product and Operations to develop a roadmap aligned with the team’s key business goals
- Assist with creating project resource estimates, metrics to track completion phase, defect reports, defect prevention, development efficiency and quality.
- Learn about our core customers (the Partners research community) and become involved with the research community
- Creates meaningful technical and business documentation to ensure alignment across groups
- Analyze functional and system level requirements, tasks and issues and coordinate project planning with the project manager.
- Work with the developers and systems engineers to solve critical problems and identify efficiencies in implementing technical and functional requirements and tasks.
- Provide recommendations for optimal product architecture as technology evolves
- Use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
- Performs all other duties as required.
- Bachelor's/Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, or related, equivalent experience.
- •8+ years of experience with multiple software programming technologies including at least one major programming language (Java, C#, C++, etc.). Strong preference for expertise with Microsoft and .Net technologies.
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience, with a team of at least 3 engineers. Must include experience working closely with product owners, stakeholders, and project managers.
- Large scale systems design experience
- Hands-on proficiency with SQL, SSIS, and ETL jobs
- Experience with cloud-based technology (preferred)
- Experience working with data and databases (Sql Server, Oracle, No-Sql, etc.); preference for familiarity working with large datasets or big data technologies (Hadoop, HDFS, MongoDB, etc.)
- Knowledge of research and clinical systems desired.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with cross functional teams including staff at all levels of the organization including both technical and non-technical personnel
- A collaborative self-starter with a passion for leading development teams
- Exceptional problem solving and negotiation skills
- Self-motivated, independent, and possesses the ability to learn quickly
- Ability to run large and small-scale projects concurrently, applying knowledge and awareness of project management principles
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and to manage to tight deadlines
- Nurtures and develops promising ideas across the team; eager to experiment and innovate
- Strong player-coach mentality
- Proud that they can write top-quality code; however, doesn’t micromanage the team
- Interested in evaluating characteristics and advantages of different programming techniques and technology platforms
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships, understanding that different team members may need different forms of communication
- Experience developing cross-departmental relationships in order to remove team impediments
- Ability to communicate information clearly and effectively, sharing knowledge upward, downward, and across the department
Working with our team on site in Somerville as well as traveling to meet collaborators at multiple sites in the local Boston area. 5 – 10% travel outside of may be Boston required.
EEO Statement Partners HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.
Primary Location: MA-Somerville-PHS Assembly Row
PHS Assembly Row
399 Revolution Drive
Job: IT/Health IT/Informatics - Management
Organization: Partners HealthCare(PHS)
Standard Hours: 40
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Recruiting Department: PHS Research IS and Computing
Job Posting: Nov 18, 2019
Visit the Partners careers page to apply online. Job ID is 3112732